Friday, November 2, 2012

Happy Birthday!

Dear Caden,

Today is your 2nd birthday! I hope today is filled with giggles, cupcakes and loads of fun! At this time two years ago, your daddy and I were nervously waiting in the OR, knowing that in a few minutes we would be able to finally meet our sweet little boy. At 1:23pm I heard the sweetest sound of your cries, you were finally here and our lives would never be the same. You made us into a family.

You are a miracle in every sense of the word. I was told by several drs that I would never be able to have children, and if I did conceive, the pregnancy would be difficult. The pregnancy with you was definitely interesting to say the least. I was in the hospital multiple times because you were so insistent on trying to come early, but after months of bed rest, you were finally finished cooking and everyone was so excited to meet you. While on bed rest Mommy became depressed, so in order to get through it, I decided to post a new happy thought everyday. You were my ultimate happy thought, and you still are. After you were born we found out that you would have to have cranial vault reconstructive surgery for saggital craniosynostosis. Try saying that several times fast! Mommy made herself sick with worry, but once again, you showed us how strong you were and sailed through the surgery and recovery like a champ.

It is a bittersweet day because as I look at you, I see your chubby cheeks and thighs slowly fading and you are now able to talk much more clearer to let me know what you need. My baby is disappearing, and in its place I see a little boy that is interested in the world and learning constantly. I must warn you though, even when you are 20+ years, you will still be my baby. My first born, my love, my dear Caden, my Happy Thought. I will do my best to take the time to watch you grow,  REALLY  watch you grow. I know there will be days that I will count down the hours and minutes until Daddy gets home, and when it will be bedtime. However, I will do my best to try and see the laughter and memory making in all of the chaos of the childhood years. I know the next few years will be tough, but I promise to pause and do my best to remember that we will but pass this way with you only once.

I love you Caden, thank you for being ours. You have made our lives full of happiness, tears, laughter and lots of messes. I wouldn't want it any other way. May you continue to grow and may you learn that there truly are no limitations to what you can do or become. Do not be afraid of failure, for that is how we grow. Always be who you are, never change to please others, for you are perfect just the way God created you. Know that you always have a place at home, that even if you mess up-which you will, because that is how you learn- you will always be welcome here and we will always love you. Be a difference in your world, believe in the goodness of others, and always be a good friend.

So today, live it up, eat waffles for dinner and bounce on the couches and stay up late because of sugar overload- Happy birthday my dear Caden!

Love,
Mommy


Yummy birthday cupcake with a gummy worm on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment