Thursday, October 24, 2013

Need Dray

Dear Caden,

Tonight after we tucked you into bed, said night time prayers and gave you about a million hugs and kisses, you began to say, "Need 'dray!" You normally speak very clearly but if not, I typically am extremely good at deciphering Cadenese; however, this time after about 10 minutes I had to call in reinforcements: Daddy. Daddy and I tried for another 20 minutes to figure out what you were saying.
"Need dray!"
"Drink?"
"No, need dray!"
"Play?"
"No, need dray!"
"Candy?" (just went potty)
"No, need dray!"
"Show me Caden, we don't understand."
Your big brown eye peer out from underneath your blanket. "Need dray Mommy!"
Usually by now if we come to a stale mate in guessing what you are saying we are successful in distracting you into something else. However, you were so insistent and your voice had a certain sense of urgency that I couldn't let it go. This continues for a total of 35 minutes until suddenly you whisper one last time, "Need dray, Mommy!" and it dawns on me- "Need pray."
I kneel beside your bed, you lay your head on my arm and I feel a twinge in my heart. Even though we had already prayed, I run my fingers run through your hair and I hold you close to me and begin to whisper another prayer with you.
May I always remember to have childlike faith, to stop and whisper prayers when God places it on my heart. May I always pause to listen to my children and their needs, really listen, for we never know if God is speaking through them. I pray that I remember that I am not just raising two busy boys, but I am molding and nurturing them into Godly men. Thank you Caden for reminding me once again that you watch everything we do, and you mimic what you see. Thankful that you have a tender heart, I am humbled to be your mommy.

Love,
Mommy


"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy site O Lord, my Strength and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment