Sunday, May 11, 2014

Our Crazy Life

Dear Caden,

Being a parent is fun. I say things that I never thought I would ever say to another human. Our typical day usually consists of one of the following phrases:

Put your tongue back in your mouth
Stop licking me...and Jacob...and Daddy
Don't eat off the floor, it's yucky
No, your ketchup does not need a hat
No, it isn't your birthday
Yes, we can sing you the birthday song
No, it isn't Halloween and there isn't anymore Halloween candy
No, your socks can't make you fly
Of course your socks make you run faster
Please stop trying to feed Tiger (our cat) your fish sticks
Please take your macaroni noodle out of your nose
No, Mommy will not toot in your bath so you can have extra bubbles
Yes, if you want to toot in your bath to make extra bubbles, go ahead
Stop drinking the bath water - this includes trying to gargle with it
Please stop sticking your carrots on or in between your toes
No, we cannot have a swimming pool with water in the living room
Don't eat that flower
Please stop collecting June bugs in your pant pockets to "surprise" me with later
Love-bugs don't bite, there is no need to have a total meltdown when one touches you
Wow! You did poop a shark- great job!
No, your tinker did not fall off- your tinker is in the front (half asleep feeling your bum)
Of course eating dragon fruit will make you breathe fire

This list, of course, is just a drop in our crazy bucket of life. You and your brother have turned my life completely upside down, dumped all my sanity on the ground and smeared glitter and boogers on my walls. Everything I plan tends to never happen quite the way I expect. Our family seems to take the spontaneous and scenic route of life while sitting front seat on the insanity train. I am learning to enjoy this crazy ride, sticking my head out the window and feeling the wind rush in my face. I am learning that sometimes running outside while it is pouring down rain and splashing in puddles is the best therapy there is. That sticky hands and gooey kisses are the absolute best. That the long nights holding and praying over a feverish child, rocking them slowly and feeling their heart beat in sync with yours is more healing than any medicine out there. That wiping away tears and snot over a meltdown because your carrot accidentally touched your ketchup and giving a hug like only a Mommy can, is what I was made for. The looks and squeals of pure excitement that you and your brother give me when I walk into a room, no matter how long and frustrating my day may have been, make it all worth it. That I prefer handmade scribbles of love so much more than any gift that you could ever purchase. Even though I am still learning, thank you for making me into the woman I am today. Thank you for making me into a Mommy - your Mommy. I adore you with every breath in my body.

Love,
Mommy

Holding Caden 2010

Holding Jacob 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment