Saturday, December 24, 2011

Home Sweet Home


***This is a repost from Caden's Caring Pages which were written while we were waiting for, and after Caden's Cranial Vault Reconstructive surgery***

There are no words that can describe the comfort of sleeping in your own home, in your own bed. Knowing that your family is home, safe and sound, under the same roof. We were discharged yesterday evening and poor Caden could barely keep his eyes open. No one sleeps well in a hospital. I can't believe we are home before Christmas Eve. Caden is my hero. 
Today is Christmas Eve! Caden slept ALL NIGHT long! They warned us that post surgery that Caden might revert to the sleeping habits of a newborn. Not something we were looking forward to for sure! Caden was ready and raring to go this morning! He refused his morning pain medication and just wanted breakfast. And man, did he eat! I was curious where all the food went. I know that right after his surgery he didn't really want to eat much because he was intubated during his surgery and his throat was really sore. He is making up for the lack of eating in the hospital, that is for sure! Walking around is a like a new experience for Caden. He is having to relearn how to walk again because his new head shape throws off his balance. I never realized how narrow Caden's head was until now. His new head shape is very round and quite a bit larger than before. The surgeons said that they tried to over-correct a little bit so that hopefully in the future we won't have to have additional surgeries. Whatever it takes to keep my Caden safe and healthy.

My parents and Cayce's mother came over and we opened a few gifts. Caden was more interested in the wrapping paper and bows than anything. :) This year Christmas has a different meaning for us, this year Caden is my Christmas miracle. Thank you everyone for caring for us, for praying for us as we continue this journey. We know that the hardest part is over, and wow- I wish to never have to go through this again. We still have to heal, and I pray that his recovery goes smoothly. So far he screams anytime someone goes near his head, which I don't blame him. Over time I know that the pain will lessen and he will get better. I'm thankful that we did this while he was young because I know he won't remember this. I pray he won't remember this. May you all enjoy your Christmas holidays and spend time with your family. Be thankful for what you have and remember how blessed we all really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment