Saturday, December 15, 2012

Happy Birthday Great Grandpa Brown!!!

Dear Caden,

Today is a bittersweet day for Mommy. Today is (your Great) Grandpa Brown's birthday! Unfortunately you will never have the opportunity to sit on his lap while he sings you his silly red bug songs. You won't know the excitement that Uncle Gene and I had from staying over at Grandpa's because we got to stay up until the sun came up, playing Mario video games and drinking coffee with our sugar. As with every person, Grandpa had his faults, but he was the most amazing Grandpa and Mommy loved and still does, him very much. One day, I will take you to where he sleeps and we will place fresh flowers there and tell him all about how much you have grown up. I promise to always keep his memory alive through pictures and stories, weaving him into the fabric of your little heart until we all join him in Heaven. So tonight when we pray, we will ask Jesus to give Grandpa a kiss from us and let him know that we are doing our very best to make him proud. One day, after Jesus tells us, "Well done, thy good and faithful servant!", we will race across the clouds of Heaven and Grandpa will finally get to hold you on his knee and sing to you, "Oooooh say can you see, any red bugs on me?! If you caaaan, pick a few! . . . And we'll make a red bug stew!!!"

Love,
Mommy

Dear Grandpa,

It still hurts so much, knowing that you are no longer here. I celebrate today, your day, in my heart. Thank you for being the best grandfather to me, for allowing an awkward 8yr old put your few wisps of silver hair into pig tails. For allowing me to sit on your lap and fall asleep. For just loving me. They say it gets easier with time, it has been 11 yrs, and it still hurts so much. Know that I carry you around with me every day in my heart, that I think of you often. Know that I am proud of the big "Brown" nose, for I know that nose came from you. May you rest in peace, waiting until Gabriel blows that trumpet. I am doing my best to raise my family to make you proud, and the right way so that when the time comes I can hold you in my arms again. Tonight, even though I am a mother myself, I will sleep with the Snoopy doll that you gave me and think of you as I drift in dreamland . . .

Love,
Your Grandbaby

No comments:

Post a Comment