Monday, November 11, 2013

Thankful

Dear Caden,

I see you run to me, your face lit up with a grin a mile wide and arms outstretched. I pick you up and twirl you around, kissing underneath your neck until you squeal with laughter. I put you down and you run across the yard giggling at the birds that fly against the backdrop of the beautiful pink and orange evening sky. I watch you squatting on the sidewalk, poking your finger in a hole in the concrete.
"Look Momma! Hole!"
"Yes Caden, that is a hole. Don't stick your finger in it sweetie, that is yuck."
This prompts you to immediately stick your finger further in the hole.
""Loooook! Momma do it."
"No Caden, Mommy isn't going to stick her finger in the hole. That is yuck."
"Momma, sidewalk broken, need bandaid!"
"The sidewalk isn't broken baby, it is ok."
You stare at me, thinking until you finally sigh, "Ohhhtay. Blow kiss it Mommy."
"Mwah! All better."
Happy with my blow kiss, you scamper off and begin to play with something else. I look at you, your innocence and my heart is so very thankful. Thankful that you are able to run free outside and laugh at birds in the sky and not worry about gunshots flying. Thankful that we can play hide and seek for fun and not for fear. Thankful that the hole in the concrete is just the size of your finger and not the size of a crater made by a bomb. Thankful that you will be able to grow up and be a man with the opportunity to become whatever you put your mind to. Thankful that as we sit down to dinner tonight, that we have plates that are full and leftovers for later. Thankful we have clean, running water to drink and bathe in. Thankful that tonight when I kiss you goodnight that you will be able to sleep peacefully, with the sounds of a waterfall gently lulling you into dreamland. Thankful that your dreams will be about laughter, games, swashbuckling and magic. Thankful that you are safe, in my arms and in my home. Thankful.

Thank you to all the Veterans who make my life a reality. Veterans day shouldn't be just one day of the year, it should be every day. Past, present and future - your sacrifices will never be forgotten. Thankful for all the mothers and fathers, wives and husbands who give their loved ones to our country. I live in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave and my children do not know fear because of all that you do. I promise to do my best to teach my children to respect our country. For with all it's flaws, America is still great. I will teach my sons to stand when the flag is being walked in, even if they are the only ones doing so. I will teach them to hold their hands over their heart while saying the pledge of Allegiance, and to be silent - truly silent - for the moments that we pause to remember those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. I will share the history of our country with them, for they are so much more than just stories, they are the blood, sweat and tears that our great nation is built upon. I will teach my sons to honor and respect those who are serving our country. To have patience and love; to help those who have retired or are disabled. I will teach them to give of their time to those who gave so much, whom sadly, have been forgotten by so many. So tonight as we wrap up a beautiful day filled with sunshine and laughter, know that you are appreciated and it is because of you that we are so blessed. We are thankful.

Love,
Mommy

"Momma, sidewalk broken, need bandaid!"


No comments:

Post a Comment